For many people, a personal experience or story motivates them to get involved in some way with Honoring Choices and Advance Care Planning. Whether it's the passing of a friend or relative, a news report or magazine article, or a change in lifestyle such as marriage, parenting, or other significant transition, understanding the value and importance of ACP comes to each individual in a powerful manner.
Honoring Choices works with volunteers in a variety of ways, and we are always open to talking with you to explore what options might be right for your interest and availability. Some of the current roles available to individuals include:
- Events: Help plan, prepare, and run events such as our annual conference. Some work can be done independently and some requires time in the Honoring Choices offices in Minneapolis.
- Facilitator: If you have successfully completed the Respecting Choices® First Steps™ Facilitator Training and are interested in helping individuals complete their health care directives, we occasionally get requests for this free service.
- Public Speaking: We periodically train volunteers to be presenters, sharing information about ACP with different audiences in a variety of locations. We particularly need public speakers outside of the Twin Cities Metro Area.
- Research: ACP is growing faster than we can keep up with! If you enjoy browsing the internet and have solid online research skills, you can help keep us up-to-date on what is happening around the world.
- Writing: We frequently need to write articles, letters, flyers and other pieces. If you have experience and talent as a writer, send us a sample and share what type of writing you enjoy.
- General Administrative Assistance: Occasionally we have need for someone to come to our office to help with mailings, copying, filing, etc. - general help with easy but time-comsuming projects.