Twin Cities Medical Society (TCMS) realizes the significance of strongly advocating for our members at the local, state and national levels.
We actively engage, communicate with, and educate elected officials about issues that are of concern to our members.
Physicians have multiple opportunities throughout the year to listen to and dialogue with local elected officials whether it be in a group setting or one on one. Encounters like these are organized by TCMS staff and are viewed by participants as a terrific member benefit. Issue briefs and talking points are prepared by society staff for use by our members to better understand the issues, or to use when they are meeting with their elected officials.
TCMS realizes there is strength in numbers, so we serve as the lead organization for the Metropolitan Hospital Leadership Committeee. We have been successful in introducing and passing legislation to the betterment of our members. Advocacy activities are also closely coordinated with the Minnesota Medical Association (MMA) and Minnesota Medical Group Management Association (MMGMA).
Opportunities for Involvement
- Join a Committee - View all committees you can be involved in. Members can develop their skills in various leadership and volunteer roles through TCMS. We have several committees that provide opportunities for member physicians to get involved in activities and issues that are important to them and contribute to the medical profession. Those include the Public Policy Council, MetroDoctors editorial board, Minnesota Physician Services, Inc. and MMBR. The society also assists the MMA in selecting members to serve on each of the MMA's committees and task forces.
- Serve as a Delegate - On an annual basis, each medical society organizes a caucus to meet in advance of the Annual Meeting of the House of Delegates of the Minnesota Medical Association. Members of the Delegation have the opportunity to develop resolutions for submission to the MMA and in turn set policy for organized medicine in Minnesota. This is a very important process and helps to guide the work that is done by the state medical association.
- Health Care Information - Follow us on Twitter & Facebook. Members are able to stay informed of current news that affects physicians as members of the medical community. We provide this service to our members through electronic updates and the print publications of our joint membership publication, MetroDoctors.
- Products and Services - www.MemberAdvantageNow.com. Products for individuals and clinics are available to members at a reduced rate. These include group and individual insurance products, automobile leases, commercial laundry and linens, and coffee supplies, to name a few. To see all products & services visit: www.MemberAdvantageNow.com
- Collegial Relationships - Members will expand their network of local physician contacts. TCMS has a membership in excess of 4,800.
- Community Connection - Participate in community events and foundation fundraising activities like golf tournaments and silent auctions to raise money benefiting local charities such as Health Care for the Homeless or the Minnesota Visiting Nurses Association.
When you become a member of the Twin Cities Medical Society you also become a member of the Minnesota Medical Association.